Sunday, November 17, 2013

Granny Hooks a Crook: An Interview with Julie Seedorf

I'd like to welcome Julie Seedorf to the blog today. Julie writes the Fuschia Minnesota Mystery series starting with Granny Hooks a Crook.

Kathy: With a culture so focused on youth do you feel it's important to shine a light on older people?

JS: I do feel it is important to shine a light on the older generation but in a more positive way. What I mean by that is that it seems when you get to be a certain age some of society tends to shed a negative light on getting older, and there are so many positives to aging too. Senior citizens aren’t the broken, decrepit people that we are portrayed. Not all Senior Citizens spend their day in rocking chairs and sitting in front of the television ready to hit their life alert button.


Kathy: Why do you think Senior Sleuths are popular? Or do you think that they're not popular?

JS: I am surprised at all the Senior Sleuths out there. I don’t know how popular they are with the younger generation; although I do know there are many young people that are laughing with Granny while reading my book. It is possible that Senior Sleuths are popular because their characters are in books that are clean books. Most books that have older people as the detective, use good language and don’t have a lot of gore and violence. They are daring and at times very funny. It is possible that some of us would like to recapture the daring personality of our youth or some of us still have it and we can relate to those nosy Nellie sleuths. Plus, if we ever see ourselves in the characters it means we have learned through the years to not take ourselves so seriously and find the humor in our age.


Kathy: What makes Fuschia, Minnesota the perfect location for a cozy mystery?

JS: Fuchsia is unique. The rules governing Fuchsia are different than normal communities. It is a laid back and quirky town. In our real lives we are all so structured by rules and ordinances that guide how we have to live. We once had a purple house in my real life community. It was scandalous to have a purple house. There are ordinances for everything and everything has to fit a code or HOA regulations. Fuchsia has the opposite type of code. Houses aren’t the same urban box, storefronts in Fuchsia must conform opposite of what our main streets are, they must each be different. Fuchsia supports individuality and because of it, it is the perfect place for unique, strange and cozy goings on.


Kathy: Granny has interesting choices in nightwear. Will you share your favorite bedtime attire, or lack thereof?

JS: Boswella Wrinkle Cream. Did I mention I just bought bright pink snow boots? You can use your imagination.


Kathy: What first drew you to cozy mysteries?

JS: Fate, I actually didn’t know what cozy mysteries were. I was reading them but didn’t know it or didn’t pay attention. One day as I was reading a mystery I happened to look it up online. Cozy mystery was in the description. A light bulb went on in my head because it was structured like the book I had written. That is when I knew that what I was writing was a cozy mystery. I had been reading many of them, but I hadn’t paid attention to what they were called. I hadn’t planned on writing one.


Kathy: Do you write in any other genres?

JS: I do. I have been writing a column called “Something About Nothing” for area newspapers for over seven years. I am working on a book with my columns because I have asked by my readers. I also have a young reader’s series called the Granny Is In Trouble Series with my grandchildren, and the first one published is “Whatchamacallit? Thingamajig?” I have a play with music in the works, about a Bridal Shop and, what the characters mother calls her, “a spinster” Bridal Shop worker. Also for many years I wrote Lenten Services and Children’s Christmas programs for churches. I also write articles with the “Everyone Has A Story” theme for a newspaper.


Kathy: Tell us about your series.

JS: Granny leads a secret life in the small, unique community of Fuschia, Minnesota. It’s not just her all junk food diet, multiplying pets, or her shocking bedtime attire that makes Granny one in a million, no, Granny is an undercover cop.


Kathy: Do you have a favorite character? If so, who and why?

JS: Granny is the central character in my Fuchsia, Minnesota series. She is my favorite character. I didn’t realize it as I was writing this book, but Granny is partially my mother. Granny may seem far fetched, but my mother at the age of 90 still crawled on her roof to patch it. She tried to rent cars when she no longer had a license. Still could use a chain saw, table saw and could lift more than a much younger person at her age. She was tough, she had grit, she was a little cantankerous and I can see her doing many of things Granny is doing and Granny is a lot younger than my mom. My mom would have ran rings around Granny. And my mom gave me a run for my money just like Granny is doing to her children. My mom, like Granny, was very mischievous.


Kathy: Did you have a specific inspiration for your series?

JS: I didn’t. I started writing and this is what the product became.


Kathy: What made you decide to publish your work?

JS: I call it a whisper or a push from above. It happened on a whim. The cozy book I was reading was by Cozy Cat Press. It reminded me of my writing. I looked them up, and sent a query. They asked for the manuscript. I had some rewrites and they offered me a contract. Again, it was a whisper, spur of the moment, no thought involved occurrence.


Kathy: If you could have a dinner party and invite 4 authors, living or dead, in any genre, who would you invite?

JS: J.K. Rowling, Catherine Coulter, Barbara Johnson, Patsy Clairmont.


Kathy: What are you currently reading?

JS: Don’t Cry Over Killed Milk , A Damon Lassard Dabbling Detective Mystery - by Stephen Kaminski.


Kathy: Will you share any of your hobbies or interests with us?

JS: Reading, Writing. Stained Glass, Computer Art, and Water Color Painting. I like anything creative. I am always trying something new.


Kathy: Name 4 items you always have in your fridge or pantry.

JS: Pickled Turkey Gizzards, Dill Pickles, Wine, Granola Bars


Kathy: Do you have plans for future books either in your current series or a new series?

JS: I am currently working on the second book in the Fuchsia, Minnesota Series, and the second book in the Granny Is In Trouble Series. I also have another mystery series started that is set in a neighborhood of quirky neighbors and Victorian Houses that harbor many secrets.


Kathy: What's your favorite thing about being an author?

JS: I lose myself every day in creativity which gives me a break from the real working world. Also, I love meeting so many new and inspirational people such as the other authors from Cozy Cat Press.





Want to learn more? Check out these websites:
Goodreads: Julie Seedorf
Twitter:julieseedorf@julieseedorf



2 comments:

  1. Great to meet you today, Kathy! Nice interview by the by.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you continue to visit!

      Delete