Sunday, December 21, 2014

Joyous Yule!


While autumn is my favorite season, I adore the Christmas time of year. I also celebrate Yule, the Winter Equinox. To me it's a day of joy and spiritual renewal...and good food and champagne! One of the things I like best about this time of year is seeing random acts of kindness and goodwill towards others. I enjoy buying and making presents for others and seeing, or hearing about, their delight once they get them. The giving holds true for my animal friends and family as well. This year I expanded my giving. I took part in the Santa Kitty Toy Hop, providing toys to shelter cats. I provided treats for the small animals there as well (one rabbit, at the moment). I also took a box of presents to a dog at a shelter.

My first stop was the Scottsville Veterinary Hospital. They are also an adoption site. They have a project called Operation Shelter Pet. People fill up a shoe box full of toys, then come to the facility, pick an animal and open the box with that shelter pet.















I bought treats for an adult dog.








No one was with this dog and there was no information on his cage. I chose him! I later found out his name is Astro and he's about 4 years old.










Here's Astro checking out one of his gifts.













I got thank you kisses.











As I was leaving I met Henry. Henry was confused with all of the people around-he was sitting outside by the door of the kennels. I found staff who took him back to the cat area.










Then I went to Rochester Animal Services AKA the Verona Street Animal Society AKA the Rochester, NY city pound.










I won a box of cat toys from author Mary Kennedy to take to the shelter.














I also took some toys I got myself.











I couldn't leave out the dogs and small animals!













Shalimar is one of the cats there waiting for a new home.








Here's the cat who stole a bit of my heart. Her name is Andrea. I told the staff to make sure she gets the wobble bobble toy! I hope she finds a home for Christmas. I hope they all do!







Here's wishing you and all the furry critters, both real and fictional, both with homes and the homeless, a joyous holiday season.

3 comments:

  1. Kathy, that was so great of you to do this!! These animals look wonderful, I wish we could adopt every one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a kind a beautiful gesture. I am touched by your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so moved by your kindness and generosity!! I hope all the animals find loving homes soon!!

    ReplyDelete