Friday, October 2, 2026

Crime and Croissants - A Review

 Review

 

CRIME AND CROISSANTS by Emmie Lyn
The First Cooking Club Murder Mystery 

Milly Rosebush's husband left her for a yoga instructor half her age. The good news is that she got the lovely lake house in New Hampshire in the divorce. With her teenaged daughter away at camp Milly and her best friend, Carla arrive at the house, Milly intending to spend the rest of her life there and Carla the weekend. But an unexpected cat leads Milly upstairs only to find her husband's mistress in her bedroom, dead. With the detective in charge eyeballing her and the quaint town looking at her suspiciously and gossiping Milly decides she needs to investigate. With her bestie, a good looking neighbor who's a bit too helpful, and a dynamic senior duo they will pull out all the stops to find a killer.

I really enjoyed meeting Milly and seeing her refresh her life. I appreciate the fact that she's in her 40s with a lot of life experiences yet a lot more to come. While I don't like that Carla doesn't like animals, surely a serial killer trait, but she makes a good foil for Milly. Brody the well known artist, is ever so helpful and readers have to question, is he really that helpful or is he the killer, or could he be a future love interest. Of course, my favorite characters, aside from Hazel the cat and Tango the dog, are Ivy and Nadine. I can't wait to learn more of their covert backstory.

The mystery was good with lots of plausible suspects. I'm not sure if adding the issues from Milly's past was a good thing. While hinting at possible future storylines I think it just muddied the waters in the first Cooking Club Mystery and didn't think it necessary.

Good food and a quaint setting help make CRIME AND CROISSANTS a delectable new mystery series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment