Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sew What

I admire those people who can sew. While I consider myself creative, sewing is not one of my talents. I am certainly no seamstress. This lack of skill does not completely stop me, however. I have a sewing machine. It's a green Hello Kitty machine...that I've never used. Now I can't find the instructions. I sew everything I need to sew by hand. It takes me forever, it's not pretty, but fabric is held together by thread...well, embroidery floss. "What on earth does she sew?" I can hear you asking. Certainly not clothes! I make hammocks and tubes for my pet rats and fabric books. I admire those people that can sew-a friend of mine in England makes amazing plush creations. I also admire those fictional characters that sew. Believe it or not, sewing and other needlecrafts can be found in many cozy mysteries. I consider these mysteries a subgroup of the Crafting Cozy.

Melissa Bourbon writes the Magical Dressmaking Mysteries. Harlow Jane Cassidy, after working as a fashion designer in NYC,  moves back to small Texas town and opens a dressmaking shop when her great grandmother dies. There is a paranomal aspect to the series as well as we discover that all of the Cassidy women, descended from Butch Cassidy, have special gifts.

The Southern Sewing Circle Mysteries by Elizabeth Lynn Casey introduces us to librarian Tori Sinclair who, in order to fit in, joins the sewing circle of her small South Carolina town. It helps that Tori is quite adept at sewing! Sewing tips are included in the books.

Betsy Devonshire owns Crewel World, a needlework shop in Minnesota in the Needlework Mysteries by Monica Ferris. The patrons here generally don't make clothes, but do other needlecrafts, such as counted cross stitch and crewel. Patterns from various needlecrafts are included.

If you're interested in quilting try the Benni Harper Mysteries by Earlene Fowler. Benni is the curator of a folk art museum in California. The titles in the series are the names of quilt patterns.

I love stuffed animals, so imagine my delight when I found the Bear Collector's Mysteries by John J. Lamb. Former homicide inspector Brad Lyon collects and creates teddy bears!

Even if you never pick up a needle and thread, be sure to pick up one of these sewing mysteries, you'll be glad you did!


3 comments:

  1. Great post Kathy! I also enjoy those crafty cozy mysteries. The one I have read so far, are the knitting mysteries by Maggie Sefton. Highly recommend those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There are a ton of knitting/crochet mysteries out there. I may have to do a post just about them! I enjoy Maggie Sefton's series.

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth Craig has two books out now in her quilting series. I read Maggie Sefton too and Anne Canadeo's Black Sheep Knitting series. I've got a lot of Monica Ferris books to read and I've got one on the way from a bargain books catalog.

    No sewing machine so I mend by hand. I do have one of the handheld ones that cost $10 at Michael's but it didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete