Friday, February 18, 2022

Petals and Poison - An Interview & Review

I'm pleased to welcome Jess Dylan to Cozy Up With Kathy. Jess writes the Flower House Mystery series. PETALS AND POISON is the second book in the series.


Kathy: In the Flower House Mystery series Sierra Ravenswood finds herself back in her hometown of Aerieville, Tennessee. Did you ever move away, only to find your way back home?

JD: I haven’t moved back to my hometown, but I did leave my home state, only to return eight years later. After getting married, my husband and I moved from the Midwest to New York. We made some good memories there, but I missed my family and didn’t like being so far away. After having our child, we decided to move back to Illinois. Now we’re only a three-hour drive from my folks, instead of thirteen. Much easier!

Kathy: I love plants, but one of my cats makes sure I don't bring any inside. Sadly, I've let my outside garden go as well. Maybe this year I'll get back on track as I do love plants. Do you have a green thumb?

JD: I’d say I have a pale green thumb, if that’s a thing. LOL. I love plants too and always have a few houseplants, as well as flowers, herbs, and sometimes vegetables in the backyard in the summer. But I have to admit my success rate is mixed—some plants survive and others don’t. I keep trying, though!

 

Kathy: I love all kinds of plants and flowers from monkshood to fruit trees, lilacs, rose of sharon, chives, and more. My favorite flower is the violet. Do you have a favorite flower?

JD: Truly, I think I love all flowers! Lilacs and rose of Sharon are two of my backyard plants that luckily bloom each year. For outdoors, I also love roses, marigolds, geraniums, black-eyed Susans, and columbine. And of course tulips and daffodils in the spring! …But if I had to pick a favorite, I’d go with zinnias, because of their bright cheerful colors.

 

Kathy: In PETALS AND POISON Sierra creates a window display featuring plants and flowers that bring luck and prosperity. Have you ever utilized plants for purposes other than their beauty?

JD: In the past, I’ve used aloe vera for sunburns and minor skin irritations. And as a vegetarian, edible plants are a big part of my diet. J

Kathy: What first drew you to cozy mysteries?

JD: I’ve always loved mysteries, ever since I discovered Nancy Drew as a young child. As an adult, I think what first drew me to cozies was the fact that they are usually series books featuring an amateur sleuth—kind of like a grown-up version of Nancy Drew.

Kathy: Do you write in any other genres?

JD: Not at the moment. It might be fun to expand my writing someday... But whatever I write, it will have to involve a mystery in one way or another!


Kathy: Tell us about your series.

JD: The Flower House Mystery series follows Sierra Ravenswood, a former singer-songwriter, who failed to hit the big time in Nashville and had to move back to her small hometown of Aerieville, Tennessee. She’s working part-time at Flower House floral shop, when her eccentric boss unexpectedly decides to take off— leaving her in charge. Sierra is an optimist, who believes things happen for a reason, but this attitude is constantly challenged when she keeps encountering murder and mayhem.


Kathy: Do you have a favorite character? If so, who and why?

JD: I spend the most time with the main character, Sierra, naturally, and she's a lot of fun. She loves to use the Law of Attraction and other self-help tools not only to make her dreams come true, but also to help solve mysteries. Her grandmother, Granny Mae, is my favorite secondary character. Granny believes in many of the old Appalachian superstitions and likes to impart her homespun wisdom, along with folk healing remedies and charms. From what I've heard, Granny is a reader favorite too!


Kathy: Did you have a specific inspiration for your series?

JD: The flower shop theme was suggested by my editor, but the Smoky Mountains location was inspired by my first visit to the Gatlinburg area years ago. I think beautiful natural areas, especially woodsy mountains, make a nice, atmospheric backdrop for any mystery.

Kathy: What made you decide to publish your work?

JD: Even as a child, I always loved to write. It never occurred to me that I could do it professionally until much later. I wrote my first complete book, Midsummer Night’s Mischief, just to see if I could do it. I was happy with the story I concocted, featuring a Wiccan amateur sleuth, and I thought others might enjoy it too.


Kathy: If you could have a dinner party and invite 4 authors, living or dead, in any genre, who would you invite?

JD: Ooh, that’s a tough one! There are so many interesting possibilities. I think I’d start with four great 20th century women mystery writers, two English and two American: Agatha Christie, Mary Stewart, Mary Roberts Rinehart, and Elizabeth Peters.
 

Kathy: What are you currently reading?

JD: I always have a few different books going at once. At the moment, I'm reading IN THE COMPANY OF WITCHES by Auralee Wallace, GETAWAY WITH MURDER by Diane Kelly, and HAD SHE BUT KNOWN: A Biography of Mary Roberts Rinehart by Charlotte MacLeod.

 

Kathy: Will you share any of your hobbies or interests with us?

JD: Besides reading and journaling, one of my longtime interests is practicing yoga. I recently recommitted to a daily at-home yoga practice, which has been so good for my body, mind, and spirit. (And, of course, a good counterbalance to all the sitting I do!)
 

Kathy: Name 4 items you always have in your fridge or pantry.

JD: Cereal and coffee in the pantry, almond milk and frozen blueberries in the fridge. If all else fails, at least I'll have breakfast!
 

Kathy: Do you have plans for future books either in your current series or a new series?

JD: I always have multiple plans for a variety of books and projects. Finding the time to follow through is another story... But I'll for sure keep writing! FATAL FLOWERS, Book 3 in the Flower House Mystery series, is available for preorder now and will be released in May. (For more info, visit https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250769527/fatalflowers.)


Kathy: What's your favorite thing about being an author? 

JD: I love the opportunity to use my imagination and creativity, to make up stories and share them with the world—or at least a little slice of the world! I feel lucky to be able to do it.

*********************************************************************

JESS DYLAN is an environmental attorney by day and author by night. A lifelong mystery lover, she’s thrilled to write fun cozy mysteries including the Flower House Mysteries and, as Jennifer David Hesse, the Wiccan Wheel Mysteries. Born and raised in Central Illinois, Jess now lives, works, and plays in "sweet home" Chicago. In her spare time, Jess enjoys hanging out with her family, hiking in the woods, practicing yoga, and reading old Nancy Drew books.

Visit Jess (and sign up for her newsletter for a host of freebies!) at www.jessdylan.com.

*******************************************************************************************

Review


PETALS AND POISON by Jess Dylan
The Second Flower House Mystery

Sierra Ravenswood is finally feeling at home managing the Flower House and she wants to make it succeed. To that end she's adding a cafe and creating a window display filled with plants that bring good luck and abundance. When a van full of college kids pulls up, instead of lots of paying customers, Sierra gets nothing but trouble. The college professor in charge is haughty and her delivery driver is not the only one giving him looks that could kill. However, it wasn't looks, but rather blunt force trauma that killed the man, leaving him in Sierra's storeroom. When the police start looking closely at Calvin, Sierra knows she has to find the real killer.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first visit to the Flower House and intend to go back and read the first book in the series while waiting to enjoy the third. Sierra is a fine protagonist with a great outlook on life. I especially love Granny and look forward to learn more folklore from her. The relationship between Sierra and her family is honest and funny, as well as loving. All of the characters are multi-dimensional, with tons of backstory that is slowly revealed. The set up had me invested in both the characters and the shop. If I lived in Aerieville I'd be looking for reasons to go to the Flower House!

I found the mystery intriguing and had an inkling for the motive behind the killing by one clue; a unique and fascinating reason. I appreciate the way Sierra looked into the crime and her desire to help her friend. Here's hoping that her friendship with Calvin will develop into something more.

PETALS AND POISON brings in the laws of attraction and Appalachian wisdom to enhance a clever mystery.

1 comment: