Tuesday, March 29, 2022

A Disappearance at the Bonne Nuit Hotel - An Interview

I'm pleased to welcome Dominique Daoust to Cozy Up With Kathy today. Dominique is the author of the Deadly Exclusives Trilogy. A Disappearance in the Bonne Nuit Hotel is the first book and will be released April 1, 2022.

Kathy: The Deadly Exclusives Trilogy is set in Montreal in 1930. Why did you choose this setting and time period?

DD: I've been obsessed with that era since I was a teenager discovering Old Hollywood movies on the Turner Classic Movies channel. It's a different energy that I wanted to tap into and the slang is just so fun! In terms of the setting, I grew up in the suburbs of Montreal and it's not a location I've seen showcased in many books I've read so I thought why not?


Kathy: Historical mysteries require a special kind of research. What is your favorite method?

DD: I think being a fan of a different era helps out tremendously because I'm already devouring any book or movie relating to it, and that helps give me the right context for setting a story. Other than that, I would research any little detail as I was writing to make sure all peripheral elements add up with the 1930s.


Kathy: In A Disappearance in the Bonne Nuit Hotel we meet Rita Larose, a new reporter. Have you ever wanted to be a reporter?

DD: Yes! I have a Bachelor's Degree in Journalism from Concordia University in Montreal. I started the program in 2010 when journalism was going through some big transitions due to social media and the internet. The profession has evolved so much and I couldn't necessarily see myself reporting day in, day out. That being said, I've used many skills I've learned in journalism school since my time there.


Kathy: What first drew you to cozy mysteries, especially historicals?

DD: I think we can all agree these past few years have been a little rough, so sometimes true crime and intense dramas felt like too much to handle. I was looking for something light and fun that still had a mystery element to it. I did some research and then the cozy mystery world opened up to me! And since I've been obsessed with historical fiction for years, it was a no-brainer to reach for historical cozies.


Kathy: Do you write in any other genres?

DD: I've dabbled in more traditional thrillers but I haven't published any yet.


Kathy: Tell us about your series.

DD: The Deadly Exclusives Trilogy is about Rita Larose, a newbie reporter who wants to tackle big stories. Along the way she discovers something surprising about herself which ends up being an asset and a nuisance all wrapped in one!

I would describe this series as a comedic, supernatural cozy mystery set in the 1930s. For the first book in the series (A Disappearance at the Bonne Nuit Hotel) I was inspired by my time in journalism school and my first job as a chambermaid. And then things just snowballed from there!


Kathy: Do you have a favorite character? If so, who and why?

DD: I would have to say Rita Larose because she's stubborn, goofy and wants to do well. I also have a soft spot for Elsie, who was also a joy to write.


Kathy: Did you have a specific inspiration for your series?

DD: I was inspired by the movies Topper Returns and His Girl Friday for their madcap supernatural and journalistic elements respectively. I also love The Diviners Series by Libba Bray and the Starfire Cozy Mysteries Series by indie author London Lovett. I was also heavily influenced by Joan Blondell and Glenda Farrell's zany friendship which they showcased in seven films together. Women are often pitted against each other in movies, especially back then. But their friendship was always about supporting each other and having a good laugh.


Kathy: What made you decide to publish your work?

DD: I wanted to take matters into my own hands and get my stories out there. I didn't want to rely on anyone else to make it happen. Self-publishing ends up encompassing much more than just writing, but I've been very grateful for everything I've learned so far.


Kathy: If you could have a dinner party and invite 4 authors, living or dead, in any genre, who would you invite?

DD: That's a tough question! I would have to say Gillian Flynn, Tana French, Libba Bray and London Lovett. There'd be such a good mix of conversations about dark thrillers, character development, historical research and prolific, light-hearted series and I would gobble up every word!


Kathy: What are you currently reading?

DD: I'm currently reading Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's about leading a creative life and I'm finding it very interesting.


Kathy: Will you share any of your hobbies or interests with us?

DD: I love reading, going for walks with my dog and doing yoga. I'd also love to add gardener to my list of hobbies so we'll see how things pan out this spring!


Kathy: Name 4 items you always have in your fridge or pantry.

DD: Definitely cheese, popcorn, herbal tea and honey. I think my loved ones would be concerned if I didn't have any on hand!


Kathy: Do you have plans for future books either in your current series or a new series?

DD: I have a few ideas brewing for stories connected to the Deadly Exclusives Trilogy and I would also love to write a cozy series about witches set in the Old Hollywood era! Those are the ideas bouncing around my head at the moment.


Kathy: What's your favorite thing about being an author?

DD: Having the freedom to create a story out of nothing, just from a random idea that's been nagging at you. You can't take that magic for granted! 

*********************************************************************

Blurb:

Secret sources have a whole new meaning.

Newbie reporter Rita Larose is tired of getting assigned boring stories at one of Montreal's most popular newspapers. It's 1930 after all, women don't need to only write about household chores anymore!  But when a high hat socialite gossips about the New Year's Eve party at the Bonne Nuit Hotel, a riveting mystery falls right into Rita's lap. This is her chance to prove to herself and her underestimating colleagues that she has what it takes to write the hard-hitting articles.

While going undercover as a maid to get the scoop, Rita will soon discover unexpected friendships and an unusual gift of her own to contend with. Will she be able to juggle this newfound ability while not blowing her cover and jeopardizing her career-making article?

*******************************************************************
For more information check out Dominique Daoust's Instagram account @dominique.daoust

No comments:

Post a Comment