Friday, October 13, 2023

Miss Morton and the Spirits of the Underworld - A Review

 Review

MISS MORTON AND THE SPIRITS OF THE UNDERWORLD
By Catherine Lloyd
The Second Miss Morton Mystery
 
When Mrs. Frogerton starts seeing a Spiritualist Miss Morton has her concerns. Certain that Madame is trying to bilk her employer, Miss Morton accompanies her to a seance. What she finds is an angry son who needs to be forcibly removed and some inexplicable truths. When she accompanies Dr. Harris to visit the woman again they find her dead with a note telling Miss Morton to solve her murder. Miss Morton and Mrs. Frogerton begin to uncover much more than they bargained for as they begin their enquiries. Will they find the murderer before they become spirits themselves?  
 
I really love this series, from its well developed characters to its finely crafted mystery culminating in sheer enjoyment. I was especially drawn to this storyline as Spiritualism is one of my interests. Without revealing anything, I appreciate how certain things turned out. What did have me concerned was the behavior of Dr. Harris. I hope he gets things sorted as I see him as a nice foil for Miss Morton, and maybe something more. I more I know Mrs. Frogerton the more I love her, though I'd happily throttle her daughter.
 
Crafty characters and a healthy dose of the unknown make MISS MORTON AND THE SPIRITS OF THE UNDERWORLD a delightfully mysterious read.

No comments:

Post a Comment