Sunday, October 21, 2012

Meet Zombie Ed

It's that spooky sort of time, a time of ghosts, witches, and zombies! As a special Halloween treat I had the wonderful opportunity to interview Edward Kent, author of the Zombie Ed series. In addition to his children's books, Zombie Ed has crossed over to a young adult series with the Ed Undead series.

Kathy: You have a background in education. Is that what led you to write children's books and young adult fiction?

EK: In part, but I also have three kids, 6-8, and have plenty of experience reading children's books, and I decided to try my hand at it, writing and illustrating, because I felt that I could write one just as good, if not better.

Kathy: Why zombies?

EK: There's not a lot of children's books out there with zombies, at least not friendly zombies that go to school and won't eat you!

Kathy: Do you think you'll age Ed at some point and write him for an adult audience?

EK: Possibly. If he makes it that far! Lol. I have had a lot of adults tell me they enjoyed reading the book, even though it's aimed at the YA crowd. You never know.

Kathy: Bullying is a horrible part of life for many people (of all ages). How did you come to write Stop Bullying Me! I'm a Zombie. So What?

EK: After the young boy committed suicide in Williamsville, NY, I felt that I could do something in my books to address it and maybe help, especially on the younger level, to maybe reach out to those kids that might be starting to feel that pressure early on so they could learn and maybe be entertained at the same time. Maybe even reach the bully- wannabes that might learn what that behavior can do.

Kathy: Tell us about your Ed Undead series.

EK: This is a YA Paranormal Dystopian Romance series, where the main character, Ed, is slowly becoming a zombie due to a mysterious cause that he and his girlfriend are fighting to escape and get help. I would like to see it run three parts, with Ed slowly turning and then the choices and story will change dramatically.

Kathy: Do you have a favorite character? If so, who and why?
EK: Ed, of course, because he was the "nice guy" in school, and always wanting to do the right thing, and now he has to deal with this affliction and is set in circumstances he didn't ask for, all the while trying to keep his girlfriend from having to kill him.

Kathy: Did you have specific inspiration for your series?
EK: Not really, just my love of zombies, along with the setting, which is based on my hometown and things I was around growing up. 

Kathy: What made you decide to publish your work?
EK: When I was downsized in 2010, I decided to take that time to try and write and publish. The Zombie Ed children's books came first, and the plan would be to get them out there with a traditional publisher, but we'll see. 

Kathy: If you could have a dinner party and invite 4 authors, living or dead, in any genre, who would you invite?
EK: Stephen King, John Grisham, Dan Brown, and JRR Tolkien.

Kathy: Name 4 items you always have in your fridge or pantry.
EK: Milk, bread, eggs, and Pop Tarts.

Kathy: Would you care to share any hobbies your have?
EK: I enjoy drawing, movies and listening to my iPod.

Kathy: What are you currently reading?
EK: I just finished Jaws by Peter Benchley, for like the 25th time since I bought the book in '77

Kathy: Do you have plans for future books either in your current series or a new series?
EK: I am currently working on the second installment in the "Ed Undead" series.

Kathy: What’s your favorite thing about being an author?
EK: Just being able to write and control the stories and characters. To have things in my mind, play out on paper. And then to see it and have others read it is a kick.

Do you want to meet Ed Kent? If you're in Western New York, Ed will be part of a Halloween Party at Monkey See, Monkey Do Children's Bookstore in Clarence, NY this Wednesday, October 24, 2012. The party starts around 6pm and Ed will be reading from his book Zombie Ed Loves Halloween at about 7pm. If you attend, be sure to say hi.

Keep up to date with all things Zombie Ed at Ed Kent's Blog: e-kent.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment