Sunday, July 28, 2013

My Top 4 Cozy Mystery Guys



Most cozies have a bit of romance in them. That annoying detective just may become a love interest. That vexing archeologist might become a husband! I freely admit that I enjoy reading romance novels. I also enjoy the sparks of romance found on TV. Therefore, I appreciate literary love…and lust.

I also admit to falling for fictional characters: Edward in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter novels (no, NOT the sparkly vampire), Severus Snape in the Harry Potter series (admittedly helped by Alan Rickman’s film portrayal), and Roger Lococco in the TV series Wiseguy. It should be no surprise that I’m also drawn to some of the guys we meet in our cozy mysteries.

Here is my list of the top 4 cozy mystery guys with whom I’d like to be involved.

1. My first choice has to be Sailor from the Witchcraft mysteries by Juliet Blackwell. Sailor is a dark mysterious man who at first appears unapproachable, angry, and dangerous. And yet there’s something else. As much as he pushes you away, you want to get closer. There’s something wounded about him. You want to discover his secrets.

2. Kate Carlisle gives us two great candidates for this list from her Bibliophile Mystery series. We first meet Derek Stone, British security officer and former member of the Royal Navy and British Intelligence. He’s tall, dark, and handsome. As delectable as Derek is, Gabriel is the guy that makes my list! Is he a thief? A con man? Or a hero? He certainly shows up when least expected, and most needed. Gabriel is another man with secrets, secrets I’d like to uncover first hand.

3. Another Gabriel makes my list: Private Investigator Gabriel Striker from the Beaufort & Company Mystery series by Mary Stanton. Although he certainly fits the bad boy image this Gabriel is definitely not bad-he’s an angel after all.

4. My final choice is a bit different from the above mentioned dark and dangerous bad boys. But he’s no less enigmatic. Nancy Atherton writes a kinder gentler cozy in the Aunt Dimity Mystery series. She also gives us Kit Smith. Kit first appears in the 5th book in the series, Aunt Dimity’s Christmas. We find him, an apparent vagrant, near death in the snow covered bushes by Lori’s cottage. We eventually discover that Kit has an almost otherworldly goodness. With violet eyes, a melodious voice, and a face of utter beauty, his outside isn’t bad either!

When it comes to fictional characters I guess I have a thing for bad boys. However, they’re all bad boys with hearts of gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment