Sunday, April 27, 2014

An Interview with Rae Davies

I'd like to welcome Rae Davies, also known as Lori Devoti, to today's blog. Rae writes the Dusty Deals Mystery series starring Lucy Matthews and her Alaskan malamute, Kiska. Loose Screw is the first book in the series followed by Cut Loose and Loosey Goosey. All three books are available as a boxed set called Loose & Lethal. A novella, Love on the Loose, is coming soon.


Kathy: Rae Davies is your pen name for this series. Are you a fan of the Kinks?

RD:No. The name is based on a combination of a family name and the name of a high school friend who died.


Kathy: Lucy Mathews is a crime reporter turned antiques dealer. Have you ever entertained either of those professions?

RD: I used to have a booth at an antique store in Helena. I also grew up in the antiquing world. I was never a reporter, but I worked for two different daily newspapers in Montana.


Kathy: How did you decide on your location of Montana?

RD: I used to live there and missed it. Being able to write about it is the next best thing to being there.


Kathy: Do you feel that romance enhances mysteries? Are there drawbacks?

RD: I think a little romance enhances almost every type of fiction. The drawback is that some people want more romance and some people less. To me for romance to be entertaining there has to be conflict and that can be hard to maintain in an existing relationship. To give it more focus would require taking from the mystery and I know that would annoy a number of readers. So it's a balance and not always an easy one.


Kathy: What first drew you to cozy mysteries?

RD: It was so long ago, I honestly don't remember. My guess is that my first introduction to cozy mysteries was Agatha Christie. That probably came after reading a really old battered copy of Cat of Many Tales by Ellery Queen that I found somewhere. I also loved Trixie Beldon and read all the Nancy Drews although I wasn't as big of a fan of those.


Kathy: Do you write in any other genres?

RD: Definitely. I am published traditionally in romantic comedy, paranormal romance and urban fantasy. I have self-published in young adult fiction and mystery.


Kathy: Tell us about your series.

RD: It's the story of Lucy Mathews, her Alaskan malamute, Kiska, and a cast of quirky characters in Helena, Montana. Lucy is an ex crime reporter turned antiques dealer who has a bit of a bull in a china shop manner. This gets her into lots of trouble, but hopefully makes for an entertaining read.




Kathy: Do you have a favorite character? If so, who and why?

RD: Kiska because he is based on my own malamute.


Kathy: Did you have a specific inspiration for your series?

RD: It is very much based on aspects of my life. I lived where Lucy lives, worked at the newspaper in Helena, went to auctions there and loved my malamute. All that makes writing the series fun.



Kathy: What made you decide to publish your work?

RD: I decided to self-publish the Dusty Deals series because I needed a break from traditional publishing and love the freedom of self-publishing. I have zero doubt that it was the right decision.


Kathy: If you could have a dinner party and invite 4 authors, living or dead, in any genre, who would you invite?

RD: Mark Twain would have to top the list. Depending at what point in his life he came from, I'd have to consider the others.


Kathy: What are you currently reading?

RD: I am in between books at the moment. I have Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow in my bag and a Prevention Magazine on my night stand. Before that I was re-reading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie and reading for the first time Dying for Dinner Rolls by Lois Lavrisa.


Kathy: Will you share any of your hobbies or interests with us?

RD: I used to have hobbies and interests and then I had kids. :) Now I do good to jog with my dogs enough to keep us all in some semblance of good health.


Kathy: Name 4 items you always have in your fridge or pantry.

RD: Black tea bags, 99% World Market Brand Dark Chocolate, Salsa, Almond milk.


Kathy: Do you have plans for future books either in your current series or a new series?

RD: I am working on a novella in the Dusty Deals series right now. My plan is to do three set over holidays. After I am finished with this one, I'll start working on the next novel though. Then go back to the novellas after it is done.


Kathy: What's your favorite thing about being an author?

RD: Flexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment