Sunday, November 16, 2014

Dru Ann Pays a Visit

I thought it would be fun to interview another mystery blogger, one who is extraordinarily knowlegeable and well known. Please welcome Dru Ann, of Dru's Book Musings, to the blog today.



Kathy: I come from a family of readers and cannot remember a time when I wasn't reading (once I learned how-of course, I was read to during that time). Were you a reader as a child?

Dru: Yes, I read all the time. I even read my mother’s romance books.


Kathy: What books were some of your favorites as a child?

Dru: I loved Encyclopedia Brown as a child and any book that I took out of the children’s section in the public library.


Kathy: You are arguably the best known mystery blogger. How did you get your start?

Dru: At one point, I was reading over 50 author + personal blogs and commenting on most of them. I have a unique name so every time I commented, I became more known with each blog stop I made. I also had my own personal blog, like an online journal, and I had a small following. When blogs became less popular, I re-connected with my blog readers on Facebook.


Kathy: I've seen you write guest posts and you even have a regular feature on author run blogs. I've seen your quotes on books and you've even been "in" a book. How did you achieve being in the "in crowd"?

Dru: I can’t remember how it all started, but it is an honor that so many authors named a character after me. My named character has been mentioned in at least two books in Clare O'Donohue's Someday Quilts series.


Kathy: Cozy mysteries have many subgenres-culinary, animal, paranormal, and so on. Do you have a particular favorite?

Dru: I like the cozy genre as a whole.


Kathy: I know you read more than just cozies, indeed, more than just mysteries. What is your favorite genre? Are there any genres you don't read?

Dru: I love mysteries, thrillers, suspense and some romantic suspense. I don’t read vampire, shapeshifters, historicals, heavy paranormals, urban fantasy, steampunk or books. I like my books in the present and the only book that I read that takes place in the future is J.D. Robb.


Kathy: You participate in conventions. Do you have a favorite? Do you recommend attending, even if you're "just" a fan?

Dru: I love the Malice Domestic Convention (held in Bethesda) followed by Bouchercon (it’s a great way to visit other cities that you didn’t think you’ve ever get to visit). I’ve been to ThrillerFest (New York City) which is geared towards writers, Deadly Ink (New Jersey) and BookCon (connected with the BEA convention in NYC).

If a fan reads mysteries, I would recommend they attend Malice Domestic Convention; if they read suspense and thrillers novels as well, I would recommend Bouchercon.


Kathy: Do you have any advice for book bloggers or reviewers?

Dru: I’ve learned this the hard way, you can’t read and/or review every book you receive or buy yourself, especially if you hold down a job and/or have a family to take care of. Just read and/or review books at your pace, but don’t forget to enjoy what you read.


Kathy: How do you deal with the ever increasing amount of books you own. Are you organized?

Dru: I mostly buy e-books and I keep a record of the books I buy and the books I read in an Excel spreadsheet. I also keep a copy of my e-books in Calibre which is an e-book organization database.


Kathy: If you could have a dinner party and invite 4 authors, living or dead, in any genre, who would you invite?

Dru: I can’t decide. Too many to narrow down to just 4. I’ll invite everyone.


Kathy: What are you currently reading?

Dru: Right now I’m reading One Potion in the Grave by Heather Blake.


Kathy: Will you share any of your hobbies or interests with us?

Dru: I’m a TV addict, although this season I’m a bit disappointed in the offerings. I also quilt, I like to travel, I love new e-toys (electronic geek) and I write poetry.


Kathy: Name 4 items you always have in your fridge or pantry.

Dru: You’ll always find Poland Springs bottled water, Hellman’s mayonnaise, Chipotle hot sauce and Hershey chocolate syrup in my fridge.


Kathy: What's your favorite part about being a blogger?

Dru: Getting to know the authors better; helping get their work out via my blog and meeting other bloggers/reviews who enjoy reading.

Be sure to visit Dru's wonderful blog, Dru's Book Musings as well as her corresponding Facebook page!


4 comments:

  1. Great idea!! Such fun to blog the blogger. I surely see Dru all over the place so this was a grand ides--thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathy for asking those questions of Dru that many of us don't get a chance to ask. I follow you both and love what you do for us!

    ReplyDelete