Monday, February 26, 2018

An Interview with Karolina Wójciak

I'm pleased to welcome Karolina Wójciak to Cozy Up With Kathy today. Karolina is a Polish author now living in Canada whose novel IDENTITY UNKNOWN has just been translated into English and is now available in the US and Canada.


Kathy: In IDENTITY UNKNOWN you write the story of Krystian and Lena. Why did you choose to make your characters teenagers rather than adults?

KW: I've decided to write about young people to show their struggle, to show how lost they are and how their choices are going to reflect on their lives. I wanted to have characters to be realistic, true and without the wisdom that comes with years. I've decided to show the difficulties of a teen in a house with issues. When it comes to alcohol and drug problems, small kids are taken away. Teens are stuck in the middle and often have to adjust or find a way to live with an alcoholic parent. Krystian did his best to make it work until he is thrown out into the streets and not knowing what to do, he fights for survival. Lena is a young adult. She comes back home after her freshman year. She seems to have it all, but she's not happy.


Kathy: Lena is a journalism student. Did you ever study journalism or want to be a reporter?

KW: No, my whole life, I thought my calling was working for a corporation, but once I got there, I knew it wasn't for me. That's why I started my photography business and secretly wrote books for many years.


Kathy: Your novel is set in Poland. Do you think the challenges facing these two would be different if the book was set in Canada? Or the US?

KW: I am not familiar with the family law in Canada or US. I am pretty sure though that I could find families living a difficult life, like my character, because of the choices they made. I could have done extra research and relocate the translated novel to US but since it was already published in Poland, I didn't want to change it. I hope the readers will find it unique. The names, location etc.


Kathy: What first drew you to crime stories?

KW: Once I read somewhere a tip for writers and it said "write what you would like to read yourself". Since then I try to follow that rule. If I enjoy it, put my heart into it, other will enjoy it too. The funny thing is that some of my readers (especially people that know me in person) said that I seem like a happy-go-lucky person, not dark as it's in my novels. It's not like that, that a writer who writes horrors, thrillers or crime novels is some kind of a psycho. I don't have to be a criminal to describe a murder. It all comes to sensitivity, to empathy, to the ability to listen. I like darkness, the secret, crime, suspense, figuring out what to do, what choice to make, a fast story.


Kathy: Do you write in any other genres?

KW: I've been asked that question a couple of times. When I write I don't think about a specific genre at all. I have a story to tell and all I do, is to make it an interesting read. I don't focus on the form, just the plot to stuff it with twists and suspenseful action. It might be a thriller or just a psychological novel. I tend to mix genres as it is part of me to go against any rules or boundaries, so in my crime there is romance, there is dead body and a murder but also happiness. My focus is on the emotions and what's going on in the book is just a background for it.


Kathy: Tell us about your book.

KW: IDENTITY UNKNOWN is my first published book, but not the first one written. I decided to choose this one as my debut, because it won't let the reader put it down. It's a page turning thriller full of surprises. I believe that this book will help me gain readers. Convince them to my writing and make them interested for next books that I am planning to write/ publish. This book shows the contrasts between classes. My goal was to show privileges people get because of their upbringing and also that all they get is not necessary what they actually need. Both characters are unhappy until their worlds shutter into pieces. My second book has already been published in Poland this January and is being translated into English. It's a long process and we need around 6 or more months to have it ready for English readers. This story also shows two characters, male and a female, who also struggle with life. Their issue is different though, they want to be better versions of themselves and that forces them to make difficult choices - like removing someone blocking their way, their chance to achieve something. The third book that I'm working on right now is going to be a series. Al least that's what's on my mind now. This series is going to be about a young police detective, who joins her father, the chief to solve murders and other criminal activities.


Kathy: What made you decide to publish your work?

KW: For years I have been writing my stories and keeping them buried deep down on my laptop. No one has seen them, no one knew about them. Until one day I showed one of them to my best friend. She said that the moment I asked her to read it, she thought how will she tell me that I suck at it, and what words to use to advise me to stop writing. She was so prepared for the book to be terrible and then she read it. The moment she finished she sent me a ton of messages like 'You have to show it to everyone else', that the book is brilliant. At first I was unsure and feared that others won't be as nice as she was. Slowly I began sending the copies of the book to more friends. Every single feedback was the same as the first one, they loved it! Thanks to all that encouragement I decided to publish my first book. I need to tell you, that through the entire week before the premiere, I was so scared that I even thought about stopping the whole process. It was the first time I was showing a piece of my mind to people, not knowing what will they say, or how will they respond. I put my whole heart into my writing, and the more you love something, the more vulnerable you are. Every now and then, I get emails from readers that thank me. Some say they found some hidden messages between the lines, others that this story made them think about their life. The amount of support, positive feedback and encouragement to keep writing is just overwhelming and convinces me that I did the right thing. I am so thankful for all the readers that gave me a chance and read my book, their feedback is my fuel.


Kathy: If you could have a dinner party and invite 4 authors, living or dead, in any genre, who would you invite?

KW: My biggest love is John Irving. I would even cook for him, if he would do me the honor and meet with me. There are plenty of other authors that I like, and if I would be able to spend some time with them, I would try to pick their brains. I know this sounds selfish, but I wonder what would I learn from Stephen King, Graham Masterton, Robin Cook, and then the ladies: Jane Austin and Emily Bronte.


Kathy: What are you currently reading?

KW: Jo Nesbo. I have started the Harry Hole series and would like to see how the characters develop. I am also half way through an audiobook (which I listen to when I'm working on photos), the IN COLD BLOOD by Truman Capote, and books about a fictional prosecutor by a Polish author, to become more familiar with the details of police work, its internal structure etc.


Kathy: Will you share any of your hobbies or interests with us?

KW: Yes, absolutely. Photography is as big a passion for me as writing. I was lucky to change my boring office work for something so creative - photography. After each photo session, I feel such adrenaline rush, as if I'd jumped on a bungee. It makes me so happy, being able to stop the moment, create the memories, make people smile or cry and stay forever behind those photographs. You can't see me on the photo, but I am there. I am also a huge dog lover. The fact is, that I am able to train the dog so well to get all the awes from people seeing how my dog behaves, and yet, I cannot do the same with my kids.


Kathy: Name 4 items you always have in your fridge or pantry.

KW: Meat. Eggs. Mayo. Lemons (I cannot drink water without a lemon)


Kathy: Do you have plans for future books either in your current series or a new series?

KW: Yes, I do. I have few more books ready to be published and I keep writing new ones. There are also projects that I started and could not finish. If I sit down to write, and it doesn't come easy, it means I am killing the book by forcing myself to continue. Even if the idea is there but the words don't come, I let it be. Let it sit in the drawer for as long as it needs to. I am aware that some of them might not have an ending ever, but I rather have something done good, than just done for the sake of it. I know for sure, that I won't have a sequel for IDENTITY UNKNOWN, even though readers ask me to write one. This book has been always a novel, a story told in one book. The same goes for the second book.

Kathy: What's your favorite thing about being an author?

KW: Being able to create characters and for a moment being them. I try to think like a person I have created, to feel the emotions through their perspective. It's a really interesting thing that actually helps me everyday as it allows me to see someone elses point of view. We all know, how difficult it is to try to understand a person completely different from us. I do it all the time in my books. The second thing is the feedback. I have a group of people that read the books immediately after they get finished. These people can influence me to change something in the story, tell me what made them stop and smile or cringe. At first when I heard something was off, I felt like they didn't understand it, but then I've learned to listen to and appreciate all their ideas. Now I can't wait to hear back from them. Recently my mom got one of the books that I've just finished and she called me saying "how good that you've punished that guy, oh he just so deserved it". I smiled, because it was me who created him this way, who made him so irritating for the reader. If she believes that what I did was right, it means she really was into the story, felt the emotions, believed in the characters. That is pure satisfaction to be able to create something so believable. 


************************************************************************






The bestselling novel by Polish author Karolina Wojciak is now available in the US. 

Two contrasting but mysterious, twisted and touching stories about love, sacrifice and second chances. After the tragic death of his mother, sixteen-year-old Krystian lives in poverty in Warsaw, Poland with his violent, alcoholic father. Their fights grow more intense until finally his father throws him out. Homeless and fighting for survival, Krystian has to put aside his sensitive nature and become a criminal. Lena, after a freshman year spent away from home, returns to the seaside town of Sopot between semesters, convinced that it will be another boring summer with her despotic father, a powerful lawyer. Instead, new friends show her what it feels like to make her own choices. Can Krystian escape his difficult start in life? Will Lena choose her family or her freedom? Do youthful mistakes mean there’s no chance for a good life?

To purchase the e-book, via Amazon Canada, please click here.
For Amazon readers in the US please, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment