Friday, November 23, 2018

The Hour of Death - Review

Review


THE HOUR OF DEATH by Jane Willan
The Second Sister Agatha and Father Selwyn Mystery

Advent has just begun and Sister Agatha has decided to give up carrying her detective notebook, with a little persuasion from Reverend Mother. After all, this should be a time of work and prayer instead of contemplating murder mysteries. Sister Agatha regrets this decision when she hears that the too perfect head of the Woman's Institute has been found dead in the parish hall. Everyone assumes Tiffany died of a heart attack, or some other natural cause, but mystery loving Sister Agatha believes it's murder. Hoping that her childhood friend, Father Selwyn, will be the Watson to her Holmes, Sister Agatha begins collecting evidence and checking out suspects. With the blessing of the Reverend Mother, Sister Agatha will make some discrete and, at times, not so subtle, inquiries in order to find justice for Tiffany by Christmas. 

Sister Agatha is my hero! Although THE HOUR OF DEATH is the second Sister Agatha and Father Selwyn Mystery it is my first time meeting the duo...and I now will be looking to read the first book in the series post haste! I absolutely loved this book, which had me laughing out loud on several occasions. The mystery is intricate and surprising...especially as we're not even certain there's a murder! However, so many other mysterious, unusual, even dangerous, things are happening readers are bound to agree with Sister Agatha and hunt for a killer. There are plenty of twists leading to a most satisfying conclusion.

In addition to a wonderful bucolic setting (despite the danger of development ruining it) there is a bevy of wonderful characters. Everyone is deeply developed and multilayered with such individuality. The members of the Abbey are not just a homogeneous group of Anglican nuns, but rather a richly diverse group of women. There's a basketball playing Reverend Mother, a hardcore gardener, master knitter, a nun who never missed a yoga class, and, of course, a nun who's writing her own murder mystery!

THE HOUR OF DEATH, set in a charming Welsh village during Advent, filled with the most delightful characters and a puzzling mystery ticks all the boxes for a great read.

4 comments:

  1. I thought it was really good too, and like you, I hadn't read the first one even though I do have it (I must have gotten it on sale lol). But I definitely want to read it now. Who knew nuns could be so cool? ;) j/k I know they're way cooler now than they were when I was a kid! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'd love to hang out with these sisters. With the current weather here I'd love to have one of Sister Winifred's jumpers!

      Delete
    2. I am so glad you liked The Hour of Death. I am presently working on the third one in the series-- The Tides of Death. Thanks for reading! Jane

      Delete
    3. …..and the knitting ladies at my church made a replica Sister Winnifred jumper. I love it.

      Delete