Thursday, May 30, 2019

Facebook Friends Forever - A Guest Post & Sconed to Death Review

I'm pleased to welcome Lynn Cahoon back to Cozy Up With Kathy. Lynn writes the Cat Latimer Mystery series. SCONED TO DEATH is the fifth book in the series and was released this week.


Facebook Friends Forever.
Lynn Cahoon

Social media is the bane of my existence at times. At other times, I realize how grateful I am for the multitude of friends I’ve made over the years on Facebook. And the number of friends I’ve reconnected with because of Facebook.

Back in the day, you’d meet a friend at camp or at a convention and swear to be pen pals forever. If your experience is anything like mine, there would be a few letters back and forth, then real life would interfere and I’d lose the address and the friend.

Now, when you meet someone you click with, you can key their phone number in your cell while you’re still face to face. And also friend them on Facebook so you not only don’t lose connection, but you also know exactly when their plane left the airport that afternoon. Because they posted a pic of their new airport friend, the pilot.

It’s different making and keeping friends now, but I’m so excited about the possibilities. I love scrolling through my FB feed and checking out (ahem, spying) on my friends’ lives. Sometimes it feels like competition, but when it’s good, I can relate to the post. I feel that too. So it gets a like or a heart or a sad face.

When I lost my boys this January (Homer and Demon were my long term fur babies – 14 and 19 years old) I posted my grief on Facebook. Having Homer attacked, I had people supporting my anger and fear. When I had to put him down, people told me stories of their pets. And when, less than a month later, Demon, my old man, died from a broken heart, they held me up again.

And when we added to our family with the new pups, everyone celebrated with us.

So when I met my FB friends in real life, I’m overjoyed. So if I haven’t told you this lately, thank you. Thanks for reading my books, thanks for liking my posts, and thank you for sharing your life events with me. Together, we can do anything.

So if you love cozies, please consider SCONED TO DEATH. I’d love to keep this series going and my publisher needs to see numbers to do that. Your help and support is appreciated.

*****************************************************************************

Review


SCONED TO DEATH by Lynn Cahoon
The Fifth Cat Latimer Mystery

Local baker Dee Dee Meyer decides to make life difficult for the writer's retreat calling in supposed health violations after threatening Shauna and accusing her of stealing her scone recipe. But Dee Dee has troubles of her own when a famous chef from Denver is found murdered in her bakery. While Cat hosts a group of cozy mystery writers from Chicago she quietly starts to look into the life of the recently killed chef. What was he doing in Aspen Hills? Who wanted him dead? The girlfriend he recently left? His sister-in-law, a former friend of Cat's who rumor has it was sleeping with him? Cat quietly tries to put the puzzle together as she runs her latest retreat, helping her guests with more than just writers' tips.

Jealousy plays a major role in the fifth Cat Latimer Mystery. Jealousy finds its way out of hurt, control, revenge, and low self esteem by various characters, some not even seen on the page. While jealousy may be the motivating emotion here, it's be no means the only one. It's the realistic depiction of emotions that makes SCONED TO DEATH so moving. I love the fact that Cat gets angry and that she broadcasts it, even when trying, at times, to be discreet! We get to see Shauna slowly coming to terms with her grief. Life is good, but certainly not perfect for these women and the book is not afraid to show it.

I was absolutely loving this book, until I came across a major pet peeve. In an exciting penultimate scene the killer's eyes are described as being "bright with madness". I wish that authors would remember that killing people does not make a person insane. There may have been some delusional behavior with this particular killer, but there's enough of a stigma with mental illness without adding to it by having madness in the murderer's eyes.

SCONED TO DEATH is a well plotted character driven mystery. Interesting subplots enhance the story along with a subtle message about domestic violence. You are not alone and there is help.

*****************************************************************************

Sconed to Death
Cat Latimer 5
May 28th. 2019

Cat Latimer pursues a scone-cold killer who iced a top chef in a local bakery . . .

Cat has a full plate at her Aspen Hills Warm Springs Resort, as a group of aspiring cozy mystery authors arrives for a writers retreat. So when baker Dee Dee Meyer stirs up trouble by filing a false complaint with the health inspector against the B&B—all because she insists Cat's best friend Shauna stole her recipes—Cat marches into the shop to confront her.

But Dee Dee's about to have her own batch of trouble. Greyson Finn—a celebrity chef and, until today, one of Denver's most eligible bachelors—has been found dead in her bakery. Cat's uncle Pete, who happens to be the chief of police, warns her not to engage in any half-baked sleuthing. But as her curiosity rises, Cat's determined to discover who served the chef his just desserts—before the killer takes a powder . . .

*****************************************************************************

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H1ZCS2Z/

Barnes and Noble https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sconed-to-death-lynn-cahoon/1129474184?ean=9781496716842

Apple Books https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/sconed-to-death/id1435006524?mt=11

Kobo https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/sconed-to-death

****************************************************************************

Bio

Lynn Cahoon is the award-winning author of several NYT and USA Today best-selling cozy mystery series. The Tourist Trap series is set in central coastal California with six holiday novellas releasing in 2018-2019. She also pens the Cat Latimer series available in mass market paperback. Her newest series, the Farm to Fork mystery series, released in 2018. She lives in a small town like the ones she loves to write about with her husband and two fur babies. Sign up for her newsletter at www.lynncahoon.com

*****************************************************************************

Media links.

· Goodreads -http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5857424.Lynn_Cahoon

· Twitter - https://twitter.com/LynnCahoon

· Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/LynnCahoonAuthor

· website - http://lynncahoon.com/

· Amazon author page - http://www.amazon.com/Lynn-Cahoon/e/B0082PWOAO/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me over Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post. I'm not a consistent Facebook person but always enjoy connecting with friends when I get off my duff and get online. So sorry to hear about her fur babies. And glad new puppies are in the house now.

    ReplyDelete