Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Deadly Sweet Tooth - A Review

 Review


DEADLY SWEET TOOTH by Kaye George
The Second Vintage Sweets Mystery

Tally Holt has a lot on her plate. In preparation for the huge reception to welcome her parents' visit she's looking to hire servers who will also work in her vintage candy shop.  She's also having to deal with the arrival of her footloose younger brother, wondering if he'll be more of a hindrance than a help. On the day of the party almost the entire town of Fredericksburg, Texas joins in the festivities, munching on Tally's homemade Clark Bars, Twinkies, and other sweets. And everyone appears to be having a good time, except for Fran, an old nemesis of her mother. But the party comes to a halt when first her mother takes ill, then Fran. Nancy is diagnosed with dengue fever, but Fran's diagnosis is murder!

I lived in Austin for 10 years and often made trips into the Texas Hill Country, including Fredericksburg. I would have loved to visit Tally's Old Tyme Sweets. I love the idea of a vintage candy shop where the sweets are made on premises. I would devour homemade twinkies!!! 

The mystery itself in the second Vintage Sweets Mystery was made quite obvious. It was so obvious I wondered if the author was planning a surprise twist, but no. I was very disappointed in the ending. There was a penultimate confrontation, but no resolution. Things were getting exciting and I was ready to see what happened next...but there was nothing. The next chapter started at a party with no mention about how the confrontation was resolved and the killer caught! I thought pages were missing from my book...but that wasn't the case.

I did love Nigel and seeing the friendship of Tally and Yolanda. I also appreciated the fact that Tally did consider the fact that either of her parents could actually be guilty and the titillating facts surrounding their possible motives.

DEADLY SWEET TOOTH serves up delicious sweets and not so savory characters in this Texas Hill Country mystery.

1 comment:

  1. OH I love book cover. Would love to read and review that book in print format.

    ReplyDelete