Friday, November 24, 2023

The Stuff of Murder - An Interview & Review

I'm pleased to welcome Kathleen Marple Kalb back to Cozy Up With Kathy. Kathleen starts a new series with THE STUFF OF MURDER, the first book in the Old Stuff Mystery series. It was released last week!

Kathy: In THE STUFF OF MURDER a small Connecticut town becomes the setting for a movie, with Christian Shaw acting as a consultant. Have you ever been involved in a movie production? Would you want one filming in your town?

KMK: Working in New York, I’ve walked past a bunch of them on my way to or from the office…but I don’t think I’d want one in my town! I’ve never been directly involved in a movie, though I think I’d like to try writing a script someday.
 

Kathy: Christian deals with old stuff, in particular, 18th and 19th century household goods. If you could have an expertise in historical items, what would your specialization be?

KMK: Clothes! My favorite thing about researching and writing historical mysteries is that I get to dress the characters. A lot of that research ends up in the Old Stuff series, too. And, like Christian, I get a little bit of a vibe from old clothes, so it would be really nice to work with them.
 

Kathy: Several pets make their home with Christian and her friends. Are you fortunate enough to have animals in your life? Are any of them similar to the animals in this series?

KMK: Yes! Cookie, Christian and Henry’s cat, is inspired by our late tuxedo kitty, Merritt. She was as loving and protective of my son as Cookie is of Henry. Our current kitty, Rheba, is much more like the Empress Frederick, the demanding little diva of the Historical Society.
 

Kathy: Christian's son, Henry has Type 1 diabetes. Was there a specific reason to give him this diagnosis?

KMK: I’m always looking for ways to make my stories and characters reflect the real world. During the pandemic, our neighbor’s son was diagnosed with Type 1, so I got up to speed for playdates, and put his mom in touch with my closest friend, whose adult son also has Type 1. I was working on THE STUFF OF MURDER one afternoon during a playdate. And I thought, why not write the condition be a normal part of life? Especially since most of the time you see a character with diabetes in a mystery it’s just as an excuse to use insulin as a weapon.


Kathy: Henry also has a photographic memory. Would you like to have this ability?

KMK: Mine is borderline photographic, but my son has a true photographic memory and it’s a little scary. And, like Henry, he sees the world a little differently. It’s a gift for tests and such…but can be a bit weird in real life. For the character of Henry, though, it’s perfect because it gives him a key crime-solving skill, as well as a defining quality that has nothing to do with his medical condition.
 

Kathy: Was there a specific inspiration for this story?

KMK: Initially, I was just looking for a way to use some of the research that didn’t make it into my historical mysteries. While I was noodling, I remembered that my mom and I used to love watching the old Alan Alda movie Sweet Liberty, in which a film crew comes to a college town and ruins everything. I thought – hmm, what if we did that with a murder?
 

Kathy: Will you share any other upcoming books?

KMK: The Ella Shane series is coming back at Level Best Books! A FATAL RECEPTION – the wedding book! – is due next April. Let’s just say Ella and her duke make it to the altar…but not before they have to deal with a murder, a shipwreck, a questionable Polish prince – and more! 

**********************************************************************

 Review


THE STUFF OF MURDER by Kathleen Marple Kalb
The First Old Stuff Mystery 

Christian Shaw knows her stuff...particularly old stuff. Head of the Unity Historical Society she also does consulting work, such as working with the movie production currently filming in her hometown. The movie, a version of The Scarlet Letter, is supposed to mark the comeback of Brett Studebaker. While filming an impassioned speech, he looks positively apoplectic. It's not, however, great acting. The actor falls off the pulpit upon which he was preaching and winds up dead. With the possibility of murder, Assistant State's Attorney is starting to ask questions and Christian, along with her friends and family are more than willing to help.

THE STUFF OF MURDER is ultimately a book about people. There is a murder, but the story is less about the investigation than it is about the people of Unity, Connecticut. It's actually much more realistic than most mysteries. Christian doesn't happen upon a murder and decide she's going to investigate and solve it. Rather the State's Attorney calls upon her expertise, she stumbles upon things and makes realizations then immediately calls him or the police, like a normal person would, but so few amateur sleuths do. 

As this is the first book in the series there is a lot of exposition. However, there could have been less expounding and rather more showing. While it was interesting learning about Christian's religious beliefs as it impacts who she is, far too much time was spend on it as it really wasn't relevant to the plot. I did however, love all the historical details and how the Society works. Christian makes a great protagonist, smart, caring, and witty. She surrounds herself with great people too. I especially love all of the animals and am still laughing at Cookie and her reaction to Cannoli. Poor Cannoli. I also like the possibility of a second chance at romance for this widow. This subplot is a significant part of the book-so those who just want the murder and investigation may be frustrated. I, however, like it!  

THE STUFF OF MURDER is a fresh timely mystery that connects people while serving justice.

************************************************************************

For more information:

 

2 comments: