Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Sweet Interview

I'm happy to welcome Kim Carter to the blog today. Kim's latest book, Sweet Dreams, Baby Belle, was released October 21st.


Kathy: Lizzie is young and in love only to find herself the victim of an abusive husband. Why is it important to write about domestic violence. 

KC: It is so important to bring issues to the forefront.  That is the only way that people know they are not alone in their situation and that it certainly isn't anything to be ashamed of.  I'm so grateful that issues that have long been hidden away are now able to be discussed such as mental illness, domestic violence, bullying, and so many more. 



Kathy: When Lizzie gets to Mississippi she begins to explore a historical cemetery. I adore exploring old cemeteries. Are you a cemetery fan as well?

KC: Oh yes! I have a great friend that enjoys old cemeteries too and we visit them often.  A cemetery visit in Biloxi and a young child's tombstone actually inspired this novel, although the story is purely fictional.



Kathy: Lizzie also becomes immersed in an old mystery? Have you ever been interested in crimes and mysteries from long ago?

KC: Certainly.  My reading time is limited these days, but I enjoy any type of mystery and true crime, especially old ones.



Kathy: What first drew you to mysteries?

KC: That's an easy one. I adored the Encyclopedia Brown series as a young reader and, of course, the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.



Kathy: Do you write in any other genres?

KC: I have actually just signed for my first non-fiction. I have always wanted to write non-fiction, but mystery and suspense is my first love.



Kathy: Tell us about your books or series.

KC: My novels are all stand alones but I'm thrilled to say that my latest, 'Sweet Dreams Baby Belle' is now becoming a series.  I don't want to put out any spoilers but I think everyone will like it.  It is full of mystery / suspense but also humor. 



Kathy: Do you have a favorite character? If so, who and why?

KC: My favorite character is Welles Manning from 'No Second Chances'.  He was an elderly, African-American man from Georgia that spent virtually his entire adulthood in San Quentin.  He was kind and wise, yet very guarded and observant.   I can picture his face and worn hands in my mind.



Kathy: Did you have a specific inspiration for your books?

KC: My inspiration comes from places and people, but mostly places.  It may be an exceptionally beautiful location or an extremely eerie one.



Kathy: What made you decide to publish your work?

KC: I started writing just for fun, but I've had some heavy nudges from friends and family to pursue publication.



Kathy: If you could have a dinner party and invite 4 authors, living or dead, in any genre, who would you invite?

KC: Sue Grafton, Beverly Cleary, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Ralph Waldo Emerson. 



Kathy: What are you currently reading?

KC: The Witches by Stacy Schiff



Kathy: Will you share any of your hobbies or interests with us?

KC: My husband and I have retired Greyhounds, and since our children are grown, they are our babies.  



Kathy: Name 4 items you always have in your fridge or pantry.

KC: Animal Crackers, garlic stuffed Olives, lots of cheeses, and light beer.



Kathy: Do you have plans for future books either in your current series or a new series?

KC: Yes, I would love to continue writing stand alones but am currently working on my new series.



Kathy: What's your favorite thing about being an author?

KC: Working in my pajamas without any make-up on!

No comments:

Post a Comment