Sunday, May 13, 2018

Dead as a Doornail Mother's Day Interview & Review

I'm pleased as punch to have Viv Lowry visit Cozy Up With Kathy today. You can find Viv on the pages of the Kenni Lowry Mystery series by Tonya Kappes. DEAD AS A DOORNAIL is the fifth book in the series and will be released Tuesday!


Kathy: Viv, I'd like to thank you so much for spending part of your Mother's Day here with us. To commemorate this holiday, do you have any special Mother's Day memories from when Kenni was little?

Viv: Oh yes. I would take her to a little boutique in Lexington and get her the cutest little ruffled dress, ruffled socks and the cutest Mary Jane patent leather shoes. Now...that's not to say she wasn't a pill when trying them on or maybe I took a nerve pill when she was trying them on, but we always looked so cute at church. At least, I thought she looked cute.


Kathy: What's your favorite thing about being a mama?

Viv: Kenni wasn't always the easiest girly girl. She liked watching all those Western movies with my dad, her Poppa. It just plum wore me out! But I knew that baking and cooking for her was a way to keep her in the kitchen. I loved talking to her and spending time with her.


Kathy: What's the thing you like most about your daughter being the Sheriff of Cottonwood?

Viv: I like that she's in charge and knows everything before the Henny Hens. I get the gossip before it gets to them, if you know what I mean.


Kathy: What's your least favorite thing about having your daughter be the sheriff?

Viv: I hate how she carries that darn gun. I tell her all the time that she could just carry some lysol and spray it at people, but she insists on that darn weapon.


Kathy: Do you think Kenni takes more after you or your husband?

Viv: Neither. She's my daddy made over. Down to the occupation.


Kathy: I freely admit to a hankering for your pot pie...but I do have a fear. I love pot pies, but I hate pees and so many pot pies have pees in them! Are there any pees in your pot pie?

Viv: A little secret, you can put any vegetables in your pot pie. You can skip the pees all together. But you do know that if you eat your pees with honey, it makes your pees taste funny, it sticks them to your knife and I've eaten them that way all my life.


Kathy: You were a prime murder suspect when I last wrote about your daughter. Has that changed your outlook on life?

Viv: Nothing! I can't worry about no little murder. I've got bigger things to do. Another little secrets. . . .I've got Kenni being a the maid of honor in the Mayor's and Polly Parker's wedding. Its' probably the closest time I'll ever see her walk down the aisle.


Kathy: What's one piece of advice you could give all the mamas out there?

Viv: No matter what dreams you have for your children, you'll be amazed at the wonderful adults they turn into.

***********************************************************************

Review


DEAD AS A DOORNAIL by Tonya Kappes
The Fifth Kenni Lowry Mystery

Lucy Ellen Lowell may have been an adult, but her behavior was more that of a spoiled brat. If she didn't get what she wanted when she wanted it, she was apt to not only cause a scene, but write a negative, mean spirited review in the newspaper.  When Kenni gets a call from Lucy Ellen's husband saying his wife is dead Kenni rushes to the scene to find Lucy Ellen not only dead, but murdered. It may look like a heart attack, but Poppa's presence indicates murder. Who Killed Lucy Ellen? Could it be Tina? Possibly Jolee? Or some other recipient of Lucy Ellen's hate filled rants? Kenni must solve the murder with help of her Poppa's ghost while enjoying her developing romantic relationship with her deputy. However, the Sheriff's biggest problem is filling in as maid of honor for Cottonwood's preeminent wedding in a dress right out of Gone With the Wind...the Carol Burnett Edition!

It's great being back in Cottonwood, engaging with these wonderful characters. I want to play euchre and eat those delicious goodies the ladies bring. I also want give Duke a big hug and a treat! I love seeing Kenni's relationship with Finn blossom. Finn is a perfect partner in more ways than one! Not only is he the perfect law enforcement backup, he's a fantastic boyfriend as well. I like that Kenni is now using the techniques she uses with her Poppa with Finn as they solve the case together. But she's keeping one major secret from him...will telling him destroy what they're building together?

There are always lots of laughs in a Kenni Lowry mystery and DEAD AS A DOORNAIL is chock full. Between "happy fat", bridesmaid duties, and quirky southern characters, readers will be giggling as Kenni solves her latest murder.

DEAD AS A DOORNAIL will put a smile on your face with its finely tuned mystery infused with Southern charm.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review and for being part of the book tour for "DEAD AS A DOORNAIL" by Tonya Kappes. Enjoyed reading the Mother's Day interview with Tonya.

    I'd love the opportunity to read this amazing sounding book.
    2clowns at arkansas dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed this Mother's Day treat.

      Delete
  2. I like that you say it will put a smile on my face - sounds like just what I need. thanks jcook22@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete