Friday, June 26, 2020

Death by Auction - A Review

Review


DEATH BY AUCTION by Alexis Morgan
The Third Abby McCree Mystery

Ever since inheriting her aunt's home and moving to Snowberry Creek, Washington, Abby McCree's life has been a hectic one full of committees. She's enjoying her current project to benefit the local veterans, however. Not only is it for a great cause, she has dream committee members making her work as chair easy, plus she gets to tease her tenant and friend Tripp, who will be auctioned off as one of the bachelors at the event. The auction primed to be a huge success as bids are going fast and high. The gaiety doesn't last as Abby and Tripp are both stunned by the surprise arrival of a woman from Tripp's past, not to mention the discovery of yet another dead body.

Forget about the dead body. The most troublesome part of the third Abby McCree Mystery is a new character by the name of Valerie. Of course, I despised her immediately and was aghast at what Abby was forced to deal with. I never would have put up with that, and dealing with it as graciously as she did...I absolutely love Abby, but boy, she is a much better person than I! Feelings of righteous indignation swept over me causing me to yell out loud at my book. More than once!

Aside from me yelling and wanting to cause bodily harm to a fictional character, I was intrigued by the mystery and the slow reveal as to how much of a jerk the victim truly was. I was also introduced to a new character I did like and hope we get to see more of in the future. It's the characters and their relationships with each other that really cement the book. These are complex people who you want to get to know and be around.

DEATH BY AUCTION was almost perfect. Unfortunately, at the very end the author used that too familiar and most annoying trope regarding the mental state of the killer. I was so disappointed as I couldn't have asked for more in a mystery before that point.

DEATH BY AUCTION is a mystery that will grab you and won't let go! The characters become family and it's a joy, albeit sometimes nerve-wracking, to read about their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment