Friday, May 5, 2017

An Interview with the Late Sheriff Elmer Sims

Every once in a while I am able to have a very special interview. One time I hosted an interview with an AC Cobra. Today I'm sharing my interview with a ghost. I had the opportunity to interview Sheriff Kenni Lowry's grandfather, Elmer Sims. If you'd like to read my review of SOUTHERN FRIED, the latest Kenni Lowry Mystery by Tonya Kappes, click here.


 
Kathy: I hope you don't mind me calling you Poppa, but if I called you Sheriff people might think I was talking to Kenni! 

 
ES: Darlin', you can call me Sheriff, Tug, Poppa. I'll answer to anything. Once a Sheriff, always a Sheriff.

 
Kathy: What do you think of Kenni following your footsteps and becoming Sheriff? 
 
ES: She'd gone off to that fancy college and I was for sure I'd lost her forever. When she came back to visit, she told me she was goin' in the field, I swear I walked around with my chest stuck out like a banty rooster.  I was so proud. Now her mama, Viv, she about had a fit. Well, she did have a fit and it wasn't pretty.

 
Kathy: I'm sure you were surprised to die of a heart attack, but were you even more surprised to return as a ghost? 
 
ES: You know, I wasn't shocked really. I didn't eat good. I rarely slept. The job is a lot of stress, but Kenni, she does pretty good with keeping it low-key. When I realized what my after life mission was, I love Kenni so much that I had to keep her safe. This afterlife gig is so much fun. No joke. I love scaring off would be criminals. 
 
 
Kathy: Before you died did you believe in ghosts? 
 
ES: Heck no. If someone told me what I'd be doing, I'd tell them to go hunt down their mind because they'd lost it.
 
 
Kathy: What's your favorite thing about being a ghost? 
 
ES: Scaring people.
 
 
Kathy: What's the most difficult thing about being otherworldly?  
 
ES: All that southern home cooking and being able to smell it without tasting it kills me.
 
 
Kathy: If you could give one piece of advice to the living, what would it be? 
 
ES: Life life to the fullest and don't worry about regrets!

2 comments:

  1. I love this interview! I've only read the first Kenni Lowry but Poppa is definitely one of my absolute favorite characters out of all of the books I've read, hands down my most favorite ghost.

    ReplyDelete