Thursday, October 3, 2019

Friends and Foes - An Interview & Review

I'm happy to welcome Laina Turner to Cozy Up With Kathy today. Laina writes the Read Wine Bookstore Cozy Mystery series. FRIENDS AND FOES is the prequel to the series.
Kathy: In FRIENDS AND FOES best friends Trixie, Sally, and Cora open up a combination bookstore, coffee shop, wine bar. Of the three, which section would be your favorite?

LT: That's such a hard one to answer. I would probably have to say the coffee shop. I love the smell and taste. It makes me feel warm and cozy.


Kathy: I'm lucky enough to live in the midst of three distinct viticultural regions so I mainly drink these NY state wines. I love the huge variety of Rieslings, but my favorite wine is Gewürztraminer. Do you have a favorite wine?

LT: I have more than one. Prosecco would hands down be my favorite, then Sauvignon Blanc. I'm not a wine snob so the cheaper, the better. I did recently take a trip to Portugal and had the best white wine I've ever tasted. I'd go back to buy more.


Kathy: What first drew you to cozy mysteries?

LT: I'm an avid reader across multiple genres. When I started writing I didn't feel I was equipped to write the more hard-core thrillers; my imagination just didn't lean that way. I wanted to write something lighthearted, fun, and for a broad audience, but I also wanted to solve crimes. Cozy was perfect for me to write, and I already loved reading it, so it was a winner.


Kathy: Do you write in any other genres?

LT: I also write romance, more sweet/clean, than steamy. I have one short story out now as a teaser, but a series will launch in December. I tried writing this genre when I started then I killed someone, and it turned into a cozy.


Kathy: Tell us about your series.

LT: The Presley Thurman Cozy Series is nearest and dearest to my heart because it was my first. It's not a typical cozy as the first 13 books are in different settings (she travels) and cozies are usually in small towns. She is the character most like me which is why she's my favorite.

The Read Wine Bookstore Cozy Series I started because if I had unlimited funds, I'd love to open that type of store someday. Just without the murder.

Spencer University Cozy Series came about because, in real life, I'm a college professor. At a previous job, there was a colleague who wasn't well-liked. Book 1 was written loosely based on him, but if he ever turns up dead, I swear it wasn't me.

My new romance series, Moonshire Bay, is geared toward women over 50 entering the next stage in life and finding love.


Kathy: Do you have a favorite character? If so, who and why?

LT: It would have to be Presley Thurman, the MC in The Presley Thurman Cozy Series. She was my first, and I never get tired of her.


Kathy: Did you have a specific inspiration for your series?

LT: I started writing because my mother had always had the dream of being a writer, and it wasn't a dream that she realized. I'd also wanted to be an author from childhood, and one day decided I needed to stop dreaming and do it.

When it comes to each book I write, I tell all my friends and family that none of them are safe. Little things people do and say will stick with me, and I'll embellish and think of a storyline. Then change the details to protect the innocent.


Kathy: What made you decide to publish your work?

LT: Ten years ago, when Amazon made it a possibility for us indie authors, I felt it was finally my chance to make my writing dream come true. Honestly, I figured I'd write one and then be able to say I did it and move on, but my first sale in September 2009 of a whopping .63 cents got me excited to stay the course and here I still am.


Kathy: If you could have a dinner party and invite 4 authors, living or dead, in any genre, who would you invite?

LT: Agatha Christie, hands down. That woman is fascinating both as an author and person.

Dr. Suess because his work has stood the test of time and every adult can remember at least one or two lines from a book of his they read as a child.

Julie Campbell Tatum, who created the Trixie Belden and Ginny Gordon series. These books were passed down to me from my mother and, along with Nancy Drew, sparked my love for mysteries.

Daniel Keyes, who wrote my favorite book of all time, FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON.


Kathy: What are you currently reading?

LT: I just grabbed the new serial by Stephanie Bond. Love her. I also have in my Kindle queue books by Carolyn Aspenson, Dylan Crush, Ava Mallory, and Danielle Steele.


Kathy: Will you share any of your hobbies or interests with us?

LT: I try and walk daily with my dog, Duke. I usually dictate while I walk, so it's a win-win. I also enjoy yoga. I travel a lot and love Europe, but I enjoy coming home and sitting on the couch with my coffee and reality tv. A guilty pleasure.


Kathy: Name 4 items you always have in your fridge or pantry.

LT: Coffee, club soda, pretzels, and popcorn. Did I mention coffee?


Kathy: Do you have plans for future books either in your current series or a new series?

LT: I've committed to making it through the alphabet with my Presley series. I have 12 more books to go, and two will be out this year; Keys & Kidnappers and Icicles & Icepicks.

My new romance series will release in December, The Moonshire Bay Series, and next year I will add at least one book to each. I love my series and my characters. I would miss them if I didn't write.


Kathy: What's your favorite thing about being an author?

Wearing yoga pants every day. Seriously though. I love the flexibility of having a career I can do anywhere, and I love being able to make things up all day that entertains people. When someone writes and tells me they loved a book, it makes all the hard work worth it.

***************************************************************************
Review


FRIENDS AND FOES by Laina Turner
A Prequel to the Read Wine Bookstore Cozy Mystery Series

Trixie has always been the practical one, but with library layoffs on the horizon Sally's idea of opening their dream shop is very tempting. As Sally, along with their third best friend, Cora, start looking at logistics Trixie decides to see what her banker thinks of her finances. The path to their dream is not easy when Trixie discovers an issue with her retirement savings. Not only that, the trio soon find themselves victims of sabotage. Sally is quick to blame her ex-husband's new girlfriend, but could someone else have it in for them?

FRIENDS AND FOES is a very quick read that shows how the Read Wine Bookstore came to be. Trixie, Sally, and Cora are all likeable women, who, though flawed, are working to make their lives better. All three are intelligent, if sometimes blinded by their own preconceived notions, and work together capitalizing on each other's strengths, showing ingenuity and fortitude.

The villain had a solid motive, so I was a bit disappointed when the author added a stereotypical easy reason for the behavior. While there was a definite climax and conclusion, readers are also left with a cliff hanger.

Books, wine, coffee, and determined women are the heart of FRIENDS AND FOES, a lightening fast, enjoyable read.

**************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment