Friday, January 3, 2020

2019 - A Look Back

I'm excited to enter 2020 as I reminisce about the year 2019. I enjoyed welcoming new authors to the blog and renewing acquaintances with others. I discovered many new series and continued savoring many others. While the number of books I loved is too daunting to list...and I cannot commit to naming my top ten as there are too many variables to consider, I thought I'd at least make note of some favorites.


I was delighted to start several new series in 2019. A Dream of Death by Connie Berry, A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder by Dianne Freeman Peach Clobbered by Anna Gerard, And Then There Were Crumbs by Eve Calder, The House on Hallowed Ground by Nancy Cole Silverman, and Death by Committee by Alexis Morgan were real standouts!

I also really enjoyed Southern Sass and Killer Cravings by Kate Young, Steeped in Murder by Kirsten Weiss, Designs on Murder by Gayle Leeson, Belinda Blake and the Snake in the Grass by Heather Day Gilbert, Murder's No Votive Confidence by Christin Brecher, and Mrs. Morris and the Ghost by Traci Wilton.

Of course I couldn't wait for new books in series I already loved and was thrilled to read 3 books in Carolyn Haines' Pluto's Snitch Mystery series. I had only recently discovered this fantastic Gothic paranormal mystery series and caught up. The most recent book is A Visitation of Angels, which was the only one actually published in 2019. I was also excited to read the second Rose Gallagher Mystery by Erin Lindsey, A Golden Grave, another historical mystery with a paranormal bent. Speaking of historical mysteries, The Pearl Dagger by L.A Chandlar, Deadly Deception by Kate Parker, and both of Peg Cochran's follow ups in her Murder, She Reported series, Murder, She Uncovered and Murder, She Encountered were top notch.

Gigi Pandian's latest Jaya Jones mystery, The Glass Thief, made me giddy at the ending and Vivien Chien gave two new Noodle Shop mysteries leaving me constantly craving Chinese food. Two Barnabas Tew novels had me laughing at the bumbling Victorian detectives as they dealt with Mayan and Hindu gods. Sarah Fox gave another standout with her fifth Pancake House Mystery, Crepe Expectations and Lena Gregory's fourth Bay Island Psychic Mystery, Spirited Away, had me on the edge of my seat.

I look forward to jumping into the new releases of 2020 as well as books I may have missed!

2 comments:

  1. great list! I'm intrigued by a few of these, though I could never hope to read as many as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I will never read as many as I'd like. I can't even catch up on series I love!

      Delete