Tuesday, April 16, 2024

A Midnight Puzzle - A Review

 Review

A MIDNIGHT PUZZLE by Gigi Pandian
The Third Secret Staircase Mystery
 
Tempest Raj survived the loss of her career as a stage magician and has discovered that she's happy with her new life, creating architectural magic with her dad and his Secret Staircase Construction Company. But all they've worked for could come crashing down when a client decides not only to sue the company, but utterly destroy them. When that same client is found dead, impaled by a booby trapped door, suspicion falls, not only on Tempest, but the ghost of her mother! Tempest will have to solve more than one impossible crime lest her whole world go up in smoke.
 
There's nothing I hate more than a bully and Julian Rhodes was that and more. Earning his money by making up lies in order to crush people and winning, not because he was right, but because he had more money. The whole idea had my stomach in knots! I certainly wasn't sad to see him murdered, but I was sad to see that his death didn't make things easier for Tempest and her family.

I love the intellectual gymnastics A MIDNIGHT PUZZLE provides. Readers try to solve the impossible crimes along with Tempest while also trying to puzzle out her mother's disappearance and her aunt's murder. It was fascinating to see things come together, with unexpected connections and more than one surprise. 
 
As the Secret Staircase Mystery series continues, its characters make more of an impact, leaving a stronger impression. The more I get to know Tempest and her family, the more I like them. Of course, Grandpa Ash is my favorite...I only wish I could taste his amazing food. (Recipes are included, but I'd rather have him cook and share with me!) I also love the oh so smart rabbit, Abra.
 
With numerous conundrums A MIDNIGHT PUZZLE gives readers' minds a definite workout while providing love and sustenance from family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment