Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Good, The Bad, & The Interview

I'm pleased to welcome Rebecca Adler to the blog today. Rebecca writes the Taste of Texas Mystery series. THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE GUACAMOLE is the second book in the series and will be released November 1st.


Kathy: I lived in Texas for 10 years and one of the things I miss most is Tex-Mex food. What is your favorite Tex-Mex dish?

RA: Obviously, I'm a huge fan of Tex Mex. My new favorite is chile rellenos. Ah, the sweet savory flavor of chiles and oaxaca cheese fried in a light batter. Delicioso!


Kathy: In THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE GUACAMOLE, Broken Boot is hosting the annual Homestead Days Music Festival. Is this festival based on a real one or is it purely a product of your imagination?

RA: The Homestead Days Music Festival is loosely based on Waco's Homestead Fair at Homestead Heritage and Kerrville's Texas Heritage Music Day; but, yeah, it's mostly a product of my imagination.


Kathy: Do you enjoy country music? Who sets your toe a-tappin'?

RA: I listen to all kinds of music including country. When I'm writing, it's instrumental bluegrass and the legendary Chet Atkins. Driving in the car, I'm inspired by Ricky Scaggs, Rascal Flats, and the great Willie Nelson.


Kathy: What first drew you to cozy mysteries?

RA: I love to write in what I call a first person, chatty voice. And I prefer writing stories light on romance and violence. A cozy style fits my personality.


Kathy: Do you write in any other genres?

RA: My first novel was a sweet contemporary romance published by The Wild Rose Press called PLAY IT LOUD. Plus I have more sweet romantic stories published in Texas-themed anthologies.


Kathy: Tell us about your series.

RA: The Taste of Texas Mysteries are centered around Josie Callahan, her long-haired chihuahua Lenny, and her family in Broken Boot, Texas. After a broken engagement and a lay off, Josie's left the big city with her tail between her legs looking for a place to regroup. Her family's restaurant, Milagro, provides both the safety of home and a surprising number of narrow escapes.


Kathy: Do you have a favorite character? If so, who and why?

RA: It's like choosing your favorite child...impossible. I will say that in this particular book Lenny, the long-haired chihuahua grew in my esteem.


Kathy: Did you have a specific inspiration for your series?

RA: I'm inspired by the breathtaking vistas in the high desert of Texas' Big Bend Country and the surrounding communities of Alpine, Marfa, and Fort Davis. When it comes to books, Tony Hillerman's Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn mysteries are favorites. And I never miss Longmire on Netflix.


Kathy: What made you decide to publish your work?

RA: I need to write with an end goal or deadline in mind. If I didn't have a series of publication deadlines, it would be difficult for me to find time to write.


Kathy: If you could have a dinner party and invite 4 authors, living or dead, in any genre, who would you invite?

RA: Alan Bradley, Mary Stewart, Elizabeth George, and Dick Francis.


Kathy: What are you currently reading?

RA: Just finished reading A TRAITOR TO MEMORY by Elizabeth George. That woman can plot!


Kathy: Will you share any of your hobbies or interests with us?

RA: I'm a middle school theatre teacher who loves to direct musicals and plays...and write books.


Kathy: Name 4 items you always have in your fridge or pantry.

RA: Guacamole. (Seriously.) Popcorn. Humus. And cheese.


Kathy: Do you have plans for future books either in your current series or a new series?

RA: The third book in this series, CINCO DE MURDER, comes out next November. Josie and Lenny will take us on another adventure as they hunt down the villains out to ruin the good name of Broken Boot, Texas.


Kathy: What's your favorite thing about being an author?

RA: I started out as an actress; but you can't hold a performance in your hand. I love knowing that I can find my work online, in libraries, and in bookstores. It's a bit nerve wracking that my mistakes will always be on view, but gratifying as well.


Kathy: Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

RA: I loved spending time with you, Kathy. Hasta la vista!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, thanks again for inviting me to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. You're always welcome at Cozy Up With Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really fun interview. Congratulations on your November release!

    ReplyDelete