Sunday, December 30, 2018

2018 - A Year of Reviews in Review

As 2018 draws to a close I thought I'd take a look back at some of the great books I was privileged to read.


By the time the year ends I will have read at least 91 books. The most books I've read in a year, primarily due to me overextending myself...and also because so many interesting books are being published!

I was introduced to a lot of new series this year. I think my favorite is one that cannot fully be categorized. It's a historical, a paranormal, and a comedy all rolled up in a traditional mystery: the Barnabas Tew Mystery series by Columbine Noonan. I actually read the first two in the series this year. Barnabas Tew and the Case of the Missing Scarab and Barnabas Tew and the Case of the Nine Worlds are a delightful romp through mythology and great mysteries.

It should come as no surprise that I am partial to historical mysteries as well as paranormal ones.  MURDER ON MILLIONAIRES' ROW by Erin Lindsey also fits both of those categories. 

Vampires are quite popular and I was delighted to discover a Vampire Mystery series. THE VAMPIRE KNITTING CLUB is the first in this series by Nancy Warren. Other top paranormal entries this year include A MAGICAL MATCH by Juliet Blackwell, CLAIRVOYANT AND PRESENT DANGER by Lena Gregory, and the new Magic Garden Mystery series by Amanda Flower which starts with FLOWERS AND FOUL PLAY.

I also love Gothics and THE BOOK OF THE BELOVED by Carolyn Haines fits that bill.

A historical series that really stood out for me is the Art Deco series by L. A. Chandlar. This series really should be read in order so start with THE SILVER GUN and continue with THE GOLD PAWN. Other historical mysteries that stood out this year include DEADLY FASHION by Kate Parker, MURDER, SHE REPORTED by Peg Cochran, and TURNING THE TIDE by Edith Maxwell. I also adore series that combines the present with the past. PAST AND PRESENT by Judy Sheluk is the second Marketville Mystery and I read all three of the Dr. Pimms Intermillennial Sleuth Mystery series by L.J. M Owen this year: OLMEC OBITUARY, MAYAN MENDACITY,  and EGYPTIAN ENIGMA.

The return I was most excited about was seeing Jack Shepard again. I waited ten years to hear from my PI and was thrilled for his return in THE GHOST AND THE BOGUS BESTSELLER by Cleo Coyle.

I also love food and was thrilled to find two new series showcasing Chinese and Mediterranean restaurants. I love Vivien Chien's Noodle House Mystery series, not only for her great characters and intriguing mysteries, but the setting, Cleveland, Ohio, where I once lived. Start with DEATH BY DUMPLING and continue with DIM SUM OF ALL FEARS. Baklava is one of my favorite desserts and, although known for their hummus bar, I might be able to find some in Tina Kashian's Kebab Kitchen Mystery series. Start with HUMMUS AND HOMICIDE and continue onto STABBED IN THE BAKLAVA. Want some breakfast? I love Sarah Fox's Pancake House Mystery series. The fourth book in this series was released this year, YEAST OF EDEN. She also started a new series, the Literary Pub Mystery series. I really enjoyed WINE AND PUNISHMENT. When speaking of food we can't forget beverages and I love the Whisky Business Mystery series by Melinda Mullet. DEADLY DRAM, the third book in the series, was released this year.

I'm fond of several religious mysteries and was delighted to discover Sister Agnes. You can find her in the Sister Agatha and Father Selwyn Mystery series by Jane Willan. Check out my review of the second book in the series, THE HOUR OF DEATH.

New books in favorite series also include LETHAL IN OLD LACE by Duffy Brown and TOUCAN KEEP A SECRET by Donna Andrews.

If you like short stories, you mustn't miss Gigi Pandian's THE CAMBODIAN CURSE & OTHER STORIES: A JAYA JONES TREASURE HUNT MYSTERY COLLECTION.

I read many more delightful mysteries and I know that I'm leaving out some great ones...but I hope you enjoy seeing some of the books that meant a lot to me this year. I'm certain that 2019 will bring even more great reading.


12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I'm honored to have been included with such amazing authors! Hope you have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for providing me with some great reading!

      Delete
  2. What a really lovely roundup--and I am thrilled to be included. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for providing me with some great reading! I really need to catch up on both of your series.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for including my books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I feel honored the be included with all these great authors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many books I love! I can't wait to try the ones I haven't read yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great books. I read a great many I loved that didn't make it here, and so many ones I still want to read!

      Delete
  6. Wow, thanks for the shout-out for Lethal In Old Lace!! I truly appreciate it. Happy 2019 to you!!!!!!!!! Thanks for being such a great online friend. Hugs, Duffy

    ReplyDelete